Almost all of us have them and we pretty much feel like we couldn’t live without them. I’m guilty of being on my phone often, but I’m also aware that these little pieces of technology are robbing us of the now and here. In one of my favorite books “Journey into Power” by yoga guru Baron Baptiste, he states “If you are not now and here, you are nowhere.” The difference in the meaning of that one little space is astounding. This phrase has so much meaning to me and I refer to it frequently – so true isn’t it?! We are missing out on some simple, beautiful things in life by keeping our heads down.
I just want to share with you a list of times I feel it is so important to put your phone down. I would love it if you would share the times you feel the focus should be on the now and here.
Press Pause…..Stop…Think….What’s Most Important Now and Here?
- When you’re out to eat with others. Glancing down at your phone, sure you think “oh this will be real quick” but actually you make that other person feel unimportant and what you actually accomplish is making yourself appear rude.
- When you’re on vacation, sure take some photos but you don’t need 700 of them! If you’re constantly, clicking, posting, snapping, chatting, etc. you are surely not enjoying the moment.
- When your kids are home from school, take the time to focus on them. Don’t half listen while looking at your phone, this time is so precious and goes far too fast.
- When you have company over – related or not! If your kids are older and come over to visit, relatives, friends, etc. You can take some photos if you want to capture the moment, but FaceBook will be there later to post them!
- Concerts, sporting events any type of entertainment you may be enjoying – enjoy it. There is no way you can focus on where you are, the smells, sights, sounds and truly engage in the moment if your mind is distracted “worrying” about your phone.
- At work – sure you’re going to receive a text here and there from your family, to tighten up some upcoming plans or whatever it might be, but if you’re constantly on your phone you are not as effective at your job as you could be.
- God created beauty all around us not to be missed. Beautiful sunrises, sunsets, bodies of water, fall foliage, people in need of a smile, the aroma of food, fresh air, ocean breezes, I could go on and on – you need to look around you and take all these moments in, because they will not last forever!
Make today a great day!