When the winter time comes, the motivation to workout begins to slip away. Something I have to always remind myself of is, “summer bodies are made in the winter.” Just because the temps are cooling off is no excuse to be slacking in the gym! Here is how I set up my workouts in the winter to accommodate weather and combat the lazies!
I aim to workout six days of the week. The intensity varies from day to day, but I do my best to only have one rest day. This can also vary because of my schedule. There are some days where I wake up 6am, have class, work, office hours, projects, homework and I don’t get home until 2am. It happens. It’s college.
Here is the basic format for my workouts:
- Cardio Warm Up
- Toning (AMRAP/HIIT/Pilates/Circuit Training)
- Intense Cardio
- Cool Down Stretch
- Toning (Circuit Training)
Personally, I need variation in my workouts. Parts of my workouts are geared toward training, since I am planning on running a triathlon with my Dad next summer. (I’m experiencing a bit of a roadblock with the swimming portion of training, but that’s another story). Anyways, I like to change it up quite a bit!
Let’s break down my intense day workout routine.
For my cardio warm up I might:
- Bike with the intensity between 6.0 and 9.0 for 15-20 minutes keeping the speed above 15.0
- Walk on the highest incline on a treadmill for 15 minutes with the speed between 3.0 and 3.5
- Jog between 1 and 3 miles
- Walk to the gym from my apartment (it’s about a mile and half walk)
For my toning it could be:
- One of Kayla Itsines AMRAP Circuits
- A circuit I found on Pinterest
- A PopSugar circuit
- Blogilates videos
- Pilates tapes
- TRX machine
- Light weight lifting (I can’t lift a lot of weights – I bulk up super fast and that’s not the look I want!)
- A circuit I make up myself (these usually end up being the hardest because I overestimate myself L O L)
Side note: I try to split up what I’m toning. So I have a “focus” for each day whether it be back, arms, legs, thighs, butt, abs or total body! I tone for about 20-25 minutes
For intense cardio I will either:
- Do 5-8 400’s around the track
- Run 3-5 miles
- Walk on treadmill full incline without using the sides to hold myself up for 20-25 minutes between 3.0 and 3.7 speed
- Bike at 6.0-9.0 speed for 25-30 minutes keeping the speed above 16.0
- Dance cardio! I only do it at home, but it’s so much fun. Try this one at home.
Then I cool down and stretch out my hamstrings, shins, ankles, back, stomach and shoulders! The workout usually lasts a little over an hour!
For my less intense day
My toning is very similar to above, I will do about 20-25 minutes of it. On these days I often end up doing Pilates style workouts for the toning portion.
Then to end my cardio I either:
- Run 2-3 miles
- Walk on treadmill incline at a speed of 3.0 for 20 minutes
- Bike for 20-25 minutes with the intensity between 6.0 and 9.0, keeping the speed above 16.0
- Walk home from the gym (I usually don’t do this on less intense days because I feel like I didn’t get a good enough workout in. But I’ve done it a couple times).
What does your winter fitness routine look like?