This year my mother put together a new tradition which she has labeled the, “Annual Baking Frenzy!” It is where the girls of the family come together to bake Christmas cookies (mostly for the boys to eat, but we sampled them too). So my mother, my brother’s girlfriend, Hannah, and I got together, each with our own unique recipe. And we started whippin up the goods.
My recipe is vegan and gluten free, and I am sharing it with you below. If you want to view my mother’s recipe, an old fashioned cookie, click here!
So here is how you make the red velvet crinkle cookies.
YOU WILL NEED
- Cooking sheet
- Cooking spray or parchment paper
- Two bowls
- A whisk or an electric mixer/beater (I just used a whisk because the other two were using the beaters!)
- 1 ½ c. gluten free flour (I use the Pillsbury all purpose gluten free flour – works awesome!)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c. vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- ¾ c. white sugar
- 3 ½ tsp red floor coloring (honestly, I forgot this when making mine. They just come out looking very chocolate-y!)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or agave (I used maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk of choice (I used Silk’s Almond Milk – sugar free/vanilla flavored)
- ½ c powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE THEM
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 350’ F. Spray your baking pan or cover it with parchment paper.
Step 2. Grab one of your bowls. Mix all of the dry ingredients (gf flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt).
Step 3. Grab your other bowl. Either cream your butter or melt it (I melted mine!), and add in the sugar. Mix them together.
Step 4. Fold in the food colouring, vanilla, maple syrup, and non-dairy milk.
Step 5. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix it until you have your dough.
Step 6. I accidentally added the ½ cup into the dry ingredients, and they came out tasting fine! But, what you’re supposed to do is put the powdered sugar in a bowl and set it aside! Either one works, mine tasted just fine J
Step 7. Roll the dough into little balls, and then place them on the cooking sheet.
Step 8. Sprinkle powdered sugar all over them.
Step 9. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Step 10. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
Step 11. Enjoy! J
I got this recipe from: http://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/2015/01/30/vegan-red-velvet-crinkle-cookies/ If you want to see the specific nutrition facts, click the link and scroll down to the bottom of the recipe. Thanks Sam! J